If you’re anything like me, your husband could use some suggestions for what to get you for Mother’s Day. Or perhaps you have your own mom in town and would like to treat her to some pampering. Whatever the case, I highly recommend a gift certificate for a massage or facial at Volta Esthetics in Georgetown. The owner, Sarah Howell, is offering a 10% discount to all DC Moms readers. Before I would accept the discount offer, I visited Volta myself to experience the Signature Facial. Although it was complimentary, I can tell you that Sarah is a wonderful, attentive, thoughtful esthetician and that I plan to go back again.
Here’s what I loved about Volta Esthetics:
- The individual attention. Of course, every time you get a facial, you get one-on-one time, but Sarah never made me feel rushed. Everything was highly personalized to my needs. This is a small massage and facial studio, so there aren’t any other clients milling around waiting with you. Sarah gives you all of her attention, as she is a one-woman operation. She’s easy to talk to, and when she puts you under the big lights, there’s no judgment, just a kind back-and-forth about what is going on with your skin. Sarah has an easy manner and a soft touch that allowed me to stay relaxed, even during extractions.
- Talk or stay silent. Sarah let me take the lead about whether I wanted to chat during the facial or stay silent and zen out. After asking me initial questions, she let me decide who chatty or quiet to be during the 65-minute experience. There was no pressure to keep a running conversation, and although we had a lengthy talk about everything from the Amazon show “Catastrophe” to the way skin changes as you get older to growing up in Florida. But when I wanted to close my eyes and “zen” out, that was exactly what I needed, and we stopped talking.
- Pre-natal massages: Although I’m done needing them, I love that Sarah uses a special body pillow that allows even women in their third trimester to lie on their stomachs safely and comfortably. I got to touch the pillow, and it was soooo soft and supportive. I wish this had been an option when I was pregnant, but back then all prenatal massages I found were offered with the mom lying on her side.
- Skincare consultation: Although Sarah uses Osmosis Skincare products, she didn’t once try to push me to buy anything. She does sell the line, but she also offered suggestions about department-store brands and what ingredients to look for when looking for cleanser, serum, sunscreen, masks, and more. I *was* interested in one particular product, so I purchased that, but she in no way made me feel like I should or needed to purchase any of the products.
- Parking: Georgetown is not an easy place to drive, so I was thrilled that Sarah had an available parking spot in the alley behind her shop. That made driving to Georgetown so painless and easy for me, that I know I will return!
More about Volta Esthetics and Massage Lab:
Address: 1806 Wisconsin Ave Washington, DC 20007 | See it on Google Maps
Discount: Mention The DC Moms and get 10% off your service
I was offered a free signature facial, so I could review Volta Esthetics, but I paid full price for my Osmosis serum and no monetary compensation was provided.