Once my family became a Party of Five, my husband and I decided that we would try to drive more than we fly. It was tough to get used to, but we’ve become a roadtripping family. This week and next (the DC area’s Spring Break weeks), as many of us opt to stay at (or within a day’s drive) of home, we’re going to be sharing our thoughts about travel in addition to our regular posts. Today, I’m happy to bring you news about how to save some money on gas. I know other stores might be doing something similar, but Safeway was kind enough not only to offer me a gift certificate to try it out myself but also a $50 gift card to give away to one lucky reader.
Here’s how the Safeway Program works:
1. You shop at your local Safeway. Stock up like you normally would, and make sure you have a Safeway Rewards Card associated with your phone number (I always use my number, because I don’t like to carry eleventy extra shopper rewards cards in my wallet). When you’re ready to pay, input your phone which will do two things: 1) apply any Safeway card discounts to your total and 2) keep track of your total for the gas rewards. For every $100 you spend, you will receive 1 reward. When I used to the Safeway gift card I was provided, I realized at the bottom of my receipt that I had 7 Reward Points! Now you’re ready to save at the pump.
2. Find a participating Exxon or Mobil gas station. Since this Mobil station is around the corner from my house, that’s where I went. Notice that the cost of regular gas is $3.91 a gallon — ouch!
3. Make sure the station has a Shop at Safeway sign. No sign means they may not be participating in the program. My local Mobil had a big sign on top of each pump station.
4. Follow the instructions. I didn’t have my card, so I just keyed in my phone number, and the display showed that I had 7 Safeway Rewards (which I already knew). Each Reward equals 10 cents off the per-gallon price, and you can use up to 10 Rewards at a time, for up to $1 off the per-gallon price. Insert your payment method and pump away.
5. When you’re done, look at your receipt. Instead of $3.91 a gallon, I was able to use my 7 Safeway Rewards for a discounted price of $3.21 a gallon. Awesome!
If you would like to enter the giveaway, just post about where you’d like your next tank of gas to take you, or what kinds of groceries you tend to buy that you could start getting rewards for at Safeway.
Thank you to Safeway for providing me a gift certificate to try out the Safeway Rewards Program and for offering one of our readers a gift card as well.