September is Anti-Aging month. Aren’t you so excited? You get a whole month to think about your wrinkles, crows feet and frown lines. Yippie! I know it doesn’t do much for me other than realize that there really is a month for everything. However, after a summer of playing outdoors exposing yourself to harmful UV rays and the heat you might want to consider changing up your beauty routine. There are some fabulous new anti-aging products in make-up and skincare that actually work.
SKIN- One of the best things you can do to help maintain a more youthful appearance is to hydrate. Drink your water and stay away from the things that irritate the skin like caffeine, sugar and alcohol. Easier said than done, especially when you have kids. We can’t all be saints either. Chances are you are probably coming off a few hot months in the sun, chlorine and sweaty outdoors activities. For more radiant skin and help with fine lines, deep set wrinkles and more we have the following all-star products to check out.
1. Osmotics Blue Copper 5 Skincare has proven to me to be one of the best new products I have tested this year. The 7 Night Molecular Repair Treatment is fantastic. I started using it and within a week found my skin to be brighter and smoother. My pores looked smaller too. Add in the Anti Aging Cleansing Gelee, Firming Eye Repair and Face Lifting Serum really work well together and help to achieve a gorgeous complexion that does look more youthful. It’s put a bit of spring in my step and a more confident smile on my face since I began using this line. Locally it is available at Nordstrom.
2. I freckle like mad. I go gaga over skin lightening and dark spot remover serums to fight age spots and hyperpigmentation. Murad has a great one, Rapid Age Spot and Pigment Lightening Serum. It works fast and better than Clinique’s much touted and but no real result Dark Spot Remover. Murad also offers a Skin Firming Masque and Deep Wrinkle cream with Retinol that works as well. They can all be found at a nearby Ulta.
Makeup is all about treating, concealing and enhancing. The addition of Retinol, diffusers and peptides to makeup has improved how they attract and detract light and make you look younger. Good Housekeeping recently released a list of GH seal stamped make-up that helps with aging. Some of their all stars include Maybelline New York Instant Age Rewind Eraser Dark Circles Treatment Concealer, La Prairie Anti-Aging Foundation SPF 15 and Revlon’s crease-proof ColorStay 16 Hour Eye Shadow.
1. Lip plumpers and non-feathering lipsticks will help fill out the deep lines in your lips while keeping lipstick in its place. Many brands claim to do these things but none work as well as Smashbox O-Plump. Ulta can introduce you to Dr. Brandt’s Lineless Lines No More Filler & Volumizer which does double duty by plumping your lips, filling in lines and keeping lipstick in its place. Your local Walmart has Cover Girl’s Outlast All Day lip color that seals in moisture, shines and lasts up to 16 hours.
2. Foundations, Primers and concealers can be your best friend or your worst enemy. When it comes to foundation find one that diffuses light and has good coverage that doesn’t look like a mask. Elizabeth Arden Ceramide Plump Perfect Makeup SPF 15, HD’s Makeup Forever foundation and primer are good bets. They offer soft, seamless coverage all day and help to plump up your skin. My personal favorite is Chanel Lift Lumière Firming and Smoothing Fluid Makeup SPF 15. It costs more, has less sadly less shades (8) but covers beautifully while still showing my skin and adding moisture without the oil slick look. Concealers like Maybelline New York Instant Age Rewind Eraser Dark Circles Treatment Concealer covers dark circles but also moisturizes. That’s key since some concealers can enhance those fine lines under the eyes and dry out the skin. When it comes to Primer’s (even out tone, enhance skin and keep makeup smooth and in its place) you cannot go wrong with Korres Quercetin & Oak Anti Aging Age Reversing Face Primer located at Sephora. It keeps makeup smooth all day while evening out skin tone.
3. They say the eyes are the windows to the soul. So what does it say about you when your eye makeup has slid down your face and become creased and smeared? To fight that problem check out MAC Paint Pots at your local department store. The colors last all day, don’t budge or smudge. Lancome’s Le Crayon Poudre is a smudge-resistant liner that stays put. When it comes to mascara I love Cover Girl’s Lash Blast Length. This mascara rocks and knows its place is on your lashes only. Finding a good eye lash curler is another easy way to add oomph to your lashes but help you appear more alert and awake. Kevyn Aucoin’s Beauty Lash curler earns high marks from me and beauty editors all over but Tweezerman’s ProCurl Curler is a great alternative that gets the job done.
So there you have it. The kids get back to school supplies and we get more time to fight the signs of aging. At least on some days.