Refilling Your Water Bottle While Out and About

by Aimee on May 2, 2012

When my building was evacuated due to DC’s earthquake last year, I was smart enough to grab my purse before walking out the door. When we were told that the building was closed and that we could go home, I was glad to have everything with me. On my walk to the Metro I became a little apprehensive about what my commute would have in store for me. And, my water bottle was almost empty. So I stopped at Potbelly to use the restroom and refill my bottle. I figured I’d better be prepared.

Even though I buy lunch there often, and this was an emergency situation, I felt a little guilty about taking water from the soda fountain without purchasing anything. Silly? Probably. But, you know, I’m one of those rule-follower-types.

A week or two later I was in line at the same Potbelly for lunch and noticed a flyer indicating that the store is a partner in TapIt. Upon closer inspection, I learned that TapIt is a network of stores and cafe owners who agree to provide free tap water to folks who carry a reusable water bottle. Hooray! I had felt guilty for nothing!

I’m so excited to know about this program! As a family we take our water bottles everywhere. Yes, I’m the person who takes an empty water bottle through airport security so I can fill it at a water fountain at the gate. But too often, especially on long excursions, we drink all our water. And so I always keep my eye out for water fountains to re-fill my bottles. If there’s no water fountain in sight, we end up having to buy bottled water, totally defeating the purpose of taking our own water bottles!!

Now that I know about TapIt, have checked out their interactive map, downloaded their free iPhone app and found out that there are nearly 200 participating locations in DC, I feel even better about taking our reusable water bottles on day-trips into the city. And I’m excited that I’ll pay for water — and waste plastic — much less often!

Aimee does her best to be green and loves sharing tips with others. She received no compensation for this post and honest-to-goodness is psyched to have noticed that flyer. You can read more about Aimee and her crazy boys at Smiling Mama and about family-friendly activities for getting out and about in Prince George’s County, MD, at Out by Ten.

Comments

comments

{ 9 comments… read them below or add one }

Robin (noteverstill) May 2, 2012 at 2:40 pm

I’ve never heard of that program but I’m downloading the app right now!

Thrift Store Mama May 2, 2012 at 6:24 pm

I, too, take our empty water bottles through the airport security !

Elaine May 3, 2012 at 8:19 am

Love this! I nearly always have my water bottle with me and my husband and I are both experts at spotting water fountains. Glad to know about more options!

Elaine May 15, 2012 at 12:20 pm

And after looking at this website more, what is Arlington’s problem? DC has pages upon pages of listings. Arlington has 4! Although, I will say that I’ve been in lots of stores that don’t officially participate but don’t seem to have a problem with me filling my bottle.

Amy Taylor May 3, 2012 at 7:06 pm

That is so cool. I’ll have to see if there’s that program in Nashville.

Amy @ A Little Nosh May 5, 2012 at 4:55 pm

Sad that there’s only one TapIt location in all of Fairfax…

Jessica @ Crunchy-Chewy Mama May 18, 2012 at 1:38 pm

Huh about Arlington. And I just saw a whole thing about how great Arlington water is supposed to be in the citizen newspaper — http://www.arlingtoncitizen.wordpress.com

Thanks for sharing, Aimee!

Jill May 31, 2012 at 5:05 pm

I see the signs all over downtown DC but don’t have the nerve to actually TapIt. But my office has a cooler, so I’m ok.

here September 5, 2012 at 8:40 am

I am a physical therapist and I think it is a great field,
but I started as an athletic trainer – I think this might be a
good idea for you if you want to work with a sports team.
You would need to go to an accredited school, work in the field to gain experience, and pass the
exam to become an ATC (Certified Athletic Trainer).
Then you could work for a high school or college, in a physical therapy clinic, maybe even teach a sports medicine class at the school you work at.
There are very limited opportunities for working in professional sports, but it is possible too.

The ATC\’s role is prevention (taping, wrapping, educating), assessment (on the field and in the training room), treatment and rehabilitation of the athletes/student athletes\’ injuries (acute or chronic).
I had a lot of fun when I worked as an ATC and often miss
it. . . Hope I helped! Good luck.